Physical Therapy Director, David Vrsalovic, is a certified practitioner of the McKenzie Institute of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy of the Spine.
The McKenzie Method is a philosophy of active patient involvement and education that is trusted and utilized by patients and doctors all over the world for neck, back, and extremity disorders.
- The key component to a McKenzie evaluation is the assessment. A thorough history and testing of different movements identify patterns of pain response that are reproducible, objective, reliable and accurately reflect the characteristics of the underlying pain generator.
- Once the mechanical cause is identified, specific exercises are prescribed based on each patient’s response.
- When necessary, manual mobilization techniques are incorporated to facilitate vertebral range of motion and reduce symptoms.
- Most patients can learn how to successfully treat themselves and minimize the number of visits to physical therapy, saving time, effort, and expense.
- Many therapists claim to use McKenzie techniques, but only those carrying the initials Cert. MDT or Dip. MDT are certified to use this method.